Tuesday 26 June 2012

Obsession--

Obsession--
I notice our obsession with how we look.The various physical blemishes and conditions that afflict us and cause us to suffer.
The Buddha tells us;
"a person sees all kinds of blemishes except for their own."

There is a story of a doctor, who, known for his generosity, was also prone to blow his own trumpet.
One day he was driving and saw a Monk walking by.
He stopped to offer a ride.
As they travelled together,
the doctor started to show off.
"You know Bhante I see a lot of patients who I don't charge, as they can't afford my fees."
"I also do that" replied the Monk.
Maybe he means he gives people material help,
the doctor thought.
"I also give post operative care free, even though I don't have the time."
"I also do that", said the Monk.
So it went that every time the doctor praised himself, the Monk answered,
"I also do that."
The doctor couldn't take it any more and asked;
"I don't understand, you are not a doctor, how can you do these things?"
"Oh I don't do those things,
I meant that I also only talk about my own good qualities."

The Buddha teaches us that a person is like a mirror,
when we find ourselves noticing faults in others, it is because they exist within ourselves.
It is behoven on us to realize that when we see a fault in somebody else, it is only because we need to work on that very fault within ourselves.
We tend not to notice our own faults, except in others.

The whole world is a mirror designed to show us how we can work on ourselves and our deficiencies.
Let us look in the mirror and see our own shortcomings. Then it will become a lot easier to be tolerant and more understanding of others.

Nathan.




Sent from my iPhone and
http://www.dharmamaster.com
With love