Friday 18 May 2012

A potential student went to see a Holy Master and asked

A potential student went to see a Holy Master and asked
"If I work really hard, how long will it take me to become enlightened?"
"Ten years" the Master replied.
"No, I mean really work at it."
the student said.
The Master replied,
" I am sorry I misunderstood you,
it will take you twenty years."
The student said,
" I am serious I am willing to do anything to gain enlightenment."
"Oh that's different,"
said the Master,
"it will take you thirty years."

I ask myself
Am I ready for enlightenment ?
Can I commit to one day of silence?
A month, a lifetime?
Am I able to one hour, every now and again, to sit and follow my breath?

As a broom sweeps the street;
My breath sweeps my mind.

I am told this practice will lengthen the spaces between my thoughts.
I then become aware it is the spaces that are important,
not my thoughts.
What would happen should my thoughts become less,
do I become a lesser person?
Not when I realize how calm I am.
How peaceful my surrounding, how vibrant the colours.
This place must be where my Buddha Nature resides.
With the practice comes realization that when there is no thought.
I am one with the Universe.
Nothing external.
All is joined.
All is one.
My entire practice is based on this premise of Oneness.
Awareness comes when I let go all past, all future.
I actually achieve serenity beyond my wildest imagination .
This awareness and realization frees me from the mundane.

Is this enlightenment?
All I have to do is practice........
Nathan




Sent from my iPhone and
http://www.dharmamaster.com
With love