Friday 20 June 2014

"Develop the mind

"Develop the mind
of equilibrium.
You will always be getting praise and blame,
but do not let either affect the poise of the mind:
follow the calmness,
the absence of pride."
Sutta Nipata
..............
A potential student went to see a Dharma Master and asked:
If I work really hard,
how long will it take me to become enlightened?

Ten years
the Master replied.

No, I mean really work at it
the student said.

The Master replied,
I am sorry
I misunderstood you,
it will take you twenty years.

The student loudly said,
I am serious I am willing to do anything to gain enlightenment.

Oh that's different,
said the Master,
it will take you thirty years.

So I ask myself
Am I ready for enlightenment ?
Can I commit to one day of silence?
A month, a lifetime?

Am I able to one hour, every now and again, to sit and follow my breath?

As a broom sweeps the street;
My breath sweeps my mind.

I am told this practice will lengthen the spaces between my thoughts.
I then become aware it is the spaces that are important,
not my thoughts.

What would happen should my thoughts become less,
do I become a lesser person?
Not when I realize how calm I am.
How peaceful my surrounding, how vibrant the colours.
This place must be where my Buddha Nature resides.

With the practice comes realization that when there is no thought.
I am one with the Universe.

Nothing external.
All is joined.
All is one.

My entire practice is based on this premise of Oneness.

Awareness comes when I let go all past, all future.
I actually achieve serenity beyond my wildest imagination .
This awareness and realization frees me from the mundane.

Is this enlightenment?
All I have to do is practice........
Nathan



Sent from my iPhone and
http://www.dharmamaster.com
With love