Friday 16 December 2016

Do we need to be enlightened?




"When you walk the Way, it is not near, it is not far. If you are deluded, you are mountains and rivers away from it.

I respectfully say to those who seek enlightenment: 

do not waste your time."

Shih-T'ou (700-790)


Also known as 

Sekito Kisen, (Japanese)

Student of Hui-Neng 6th Patriach

Ts'ao-Hsi Mountain Temple in China.


Shih-T'ou's body was mummified in black lacquer and due to a fire during the Chinese revolution in 1911, was brought to Japan.

It can be viewed today at the Soto Zen Temple in Yokohama....

       ...........................

So....

 A potential student went to see a Master and asked;

"If I work really hard, how long will it take me to become enlightened?"

"Ten years" the Master replied.

"No, I mean really work at it."

the student said.

The Master replied,

" I am sorry I misunderstood you, it will take you twenty years."

The student then said,

" I am serious, I am willing to do anything to gain enlightenment."

"Oh that's different,"

said the Master,

"it will take you thirty years."

           ......................

So.....

What say you?

Do we seek, or not, is it a total waste of time, sitting, trying so hard to find something we already possess?


Why not take Shih-T'ou's advise;

Be simple,

walk the Way....


Nathan





Sent from my iPhone and
With love