Friday 21 December 2012

New year

New year
Dharma

We have a chance to make a difference in our own and others lives at the start of this coming new year.
Our new years resolutions usually reflect these wishes.

Most make promises regarding finances and family.

For some, it is a religious matter and so promises are made to increase devotion.

Most don't understand that it is not the religion, or the liturgy or the statues that are important, but the spirituality of the person that earns merit.

Only a spiritual person can earn merit and make themselves available to the divine spark within themselves.

Only a spiritual person acts moment to moment and day to day as a human being,
making right life decisions thereby gaining merit.

All the promises and wishes will not change a thing.

And now it is new year that is almost upon us.
Do we do the same as we did last year?
Rather do we have a plan to revitalize and make ourselves and our lives new for the coming year?

Many people look forward to the new year for a new start with their old habits.

Old habits that won't go away.

This new year, are we able to do something different and spend a few moments in contemplation and reflection.

Ask the questions;

Am I doing enough?
Am I compassionate ?
Is my love unconditional ?

When I go to bed tonight can I truly say,
Today I did the best that I could.
With Divine Grace,
tomorrow, I shall do better.

This past year has been my personal year for spiritual renewal.
I took Samanera Theravedan Monks vows in a Wat in far northern Thailand.
For two weeks at this Wat I remained mostly silent and the one meal a day was supplied by alms given by the local people.
We walked for kilometers daily with our bowls and the mostly poor people unconditionally shared their food as we passed each day on our rounds.

I decided to lose my ego.

I decided to seek refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha.

This does not diminish my love for you, nor my love for my partner, for friends, family or business, but strengthens
my unconditional commitment to the community with compassion.

This is my seventieth year and I am at peace with myself and the world.

This peace strengthens my love for you.

Let us all make this coming year one of renewal and may you all be guarded and guided.

With Metta
Nathan


Sent from my iPhone and
http://www.dharmamaster.com
With love